I had my third 5k race this year today. I ran the local YMCA’s 5k.
So I forgot to take any pictures. Except of my socks..
|Neon thorlo socks are the bomb, I’m telling ya.|
I had three goals.
1) Beat my previous 5k time (34:30)
2) Beat my Garmin 5k time of 32:11
3) Come in under 30 minutes.
I did all three of these things!
Finishing Time: 29:33
Now this isn’t fast to most people. My dad, who hasn’t run for years, easily ran right along side me. I finished 5th in my age group. Of 6…
I know running is a “me” sport, where you are only competing against yourself, but it is difficult to never compare yourself to other runners. I train more than a lot of people and run a lot slower than them. Like, a lot. A whole lot.
But my wonderful boyfriend (more on him later!) put it in perspective for me. He said “Don’t worry about what other people can or can’t do. You still had fun doing it, and your goals are your goals, when you pass them, still be excited because you accomplished something you set out to do and you’re one step closer to a minute faster.”
Sometimes we all need to take a step back and stop comparing ourselves to others. I’m going to try to focus on my accomplishments, not other people’s.
Why I am amazing: A selfish rant about what I CAN do and not what I can’t.
1. In February, I couldn’t run half a mile without stopping. With the help of couch25k, I can now run an entire 5k! That was only four months!
2. In April, I had a bad 5k, and started off way too fast. My time was 36:07. That means, in less than 2 months, I was able to shave over 6 and a half minutes off my 5k time.
3. In the months since I started running, I have noticed positive changes in my body, in my energy levels, and most importantly in my happiness and my confidence. To me, that is the most important thing about running.
So I guess you could say, with this 5k, that I crushed it.
Okay I need this shirt from old navy. Except there were only mediums and it was so long.
I got some sports bras & shorts though. Active sale for the win.
How was your Sunday? How do you focus on your goals and not other’s times?